Friday, December 16, 2011

Story and Questions



Two Minutes 
By Mary Lynn Bushong
  


1     Ryan slammed his food tray down on the table among all of the other students in the large cafeteria. "I just think it was dumb to have to pause for two minutes at eleven o'clock this morning. I mean, that was right during gym class. That is the best part of the whole day. Well, besides lunch, that is."
 2     Andrew sat down beside Ryan and said, "I don't think it's asking too much to pause for two minutes to remember to honor our veterans that have given so much for us."
 3     "Yes, but didn't we just do that back in May with Memorial Day?" Ryan asked. "Why do we have to do it again?"
 4     "Memorial Day is set aside to remember those who died in all of the wars, but Veterans Day is primarily to remember the living veterans," said Andrew as he took a bite of his sandwich.
 5     Ryan took a bite of his sandwich, too, and then said, "I just don't think we needed to waste two minutes on it."
 6     "I guess the two minutes were wasted on you," Andrew said, "but not for me. My grandfather served in World War II, and my dad served in Vietnam, and now my brother is serving overseas. I don't think two minutes of my time is too much to ask when they have given so much. When men and women go off to serve our country, they give up almost everything, and some of them do give up everything by giving their lives. They are willing to go to many different places and work and sweat in all kinds of conditions because they believe in serving our country."
 7     "Hey, I didn't mean to put down what they are doing. I respect the people in the military, but I just hate losing time out of gym class." Ryan took a big gulp from his drink.
 8     Andrew finished his sandwich and then said, "I just think it is not asking too much to stop for two minutes to remember these people. It would be good if we would spend more of our time doing something for them."
 9     "Like what?" Ryan asked as he finished his lunch.
 10     "Well, I think any of the men and women who are still serving around the world would really appreciate a letter. Just a note telling them that you are proud of what they are doing and that you appreciate it."
 11     "Your brother is the only person I know who is in the military," said Ryan.
 12     "You can start with my brother if you want, but you can write to anyone. You don't have to know the person. I am sure a letter from you will be appreciated even though you are a dork."
 13     "I am not a dork," said Ryan. "I guess I could write a letter or two. Why don't you come over to my place after school, and we can write a couple together?"
 14     "I think that would be a great idea, but it might take a little longer than two minutes," Andrew said as he punched Ryan in the arm.
 15     Ryan smiled and said, "Yes, well, I have the time."



Date ___________________
Two Minutes

1.  Why was Ryan upset when he came into the cafeteria?
  His girlfriend just broke up with him.
  He did not want to stop for two minutes in gym class to remember veterans.
  He had failed a test in math.
  Someone tried to beat him up.
2.  Ryan thought that, right after lunch time, ______ was the second best part of the day.


3.  What time of day did they pause for two minutes?
  2:30 P.M.
  8:00 A.M.
  11:00 A.M.
  1:00 P.M.
4.  Andrew said Memorial Day was set aside to remember the living men and women serving in the military.
  False
  True
5.  Andrew said that his brother was serving where?
  Overseas
  Vietnam
  World War II
  Iraq
6.  Why are men and women in the military willing to go to different places, according to Andrew?
  They have nothing else to do.
  They are gluttons for punishment.
  They believe in serving our country.
  They want to see the world.
7.  What did Andrew suggest they do to show the soldiers that they appreciate them?
  Make cookies
  Send them comic books
  Write them letters
  Play a war-based video game in honor of them
8.  Ryan called himself a dork for not being willing to spare two minutes to remember the vets.
  False
  True


No comments:

Post a Comment