Friday, February 24, 2012

Math Review






Mom's Crash Course on Time Management 
By Beth A. Beutler



1     "Oh, no!" Billy said. "I completely forgot about my project! Mom..."
 2     Billy went running to his mother.
 3     "I need to go to the supply store! I have a project due tomorrow. We need to get a display board and markers!"
 4     "Well, Billy," his mother said with a frustrated tone. "I have people coming over tonight. I don't know if I'll have time to run you to the store."
 5     "What am I going to do?" Billy cried.
 6     Mother came and put her arms around her son. "How long have you known about this project, Billy?"
 7     Billy looked down at the floor. He was embarrassed. "The teacher told us about it two weeks ago."
 8     Billy's mom tried to be patient as she said, "Billy, it sounds like you have not planned very well. You cannot expect others to drop their plans to help you if you don't do your part."
 9     "You are right, Mom. I just can't seem to remember schoolwork. I must have a memory problem."
 10     Billy's mom smiled. "You remember your soccer games all the time. It's not a memory problem. You tend to remember what you like. Tell you what. I'll take you to the store this time. While we're there, we'll pick up a few other things you need. You come back and do your best tonight. But on the way, we begin ‘Mom's Crash Course on Time Management.'"
 11     Billy smiled. He had some hope again. He grabbed his jacket, and they headed to the car. Mom began to speak during the 20-minute ride to the supply store.
 12     "Okay, Billy. Let me give you a few pointers about time management. Just remember these three things:
 13     1. Good planning relieves feelings of stress, because you are prepared if things go wrong.
 14     2. Use tools that match your style.
 15     3. Have a consistent time to review what's coming up."
 16     At the supply store, Mother and Billy got the display board and markers. They also got a dry erase board for his room, some dry erase markers and an eraser, and a calendar with large blocks. Mother explained that since Billy was not naturally organized, and he was more creative, a white board would work best rather than a detailed assignment book or small calendar. That way, he could write reminders on the board and due dates on the big calendar.
 17     "We're also going to start having a nighttime meeting," she explained. "During the last 15 minutes before bed, I'll help you get your clothes out and lunch packed for the morning, and we'll review what is coming up the next day, the next week, and the next month. We'll write on your board and calendar, and make plans for when you can work on your projects."
 18     Mother helped Billy for the next six weeks, and slowly, Billy began to plan his time himself. He really enjoyed not having to rush through projects, and he found his grades improving! He even found more free time for himself. Before long, he was able to have his planning meeting with himself, without his mother. He was becoming a great time manager!

Mom's Crash Course on Time Management

1.What had Billy forgotten?




2.How did Billy's mother help him?




3.Billy thought he had a _____________ problem.




4.Mom shared the following with Billy:
  Mom's Crash Course on Time Management
  Mom's Crash Course on Treating Others with Respect
  Mom's Crash Course on Eating Healthy
  Mom's Crash Diet
5.Mom and Billy had a _________ meeting before he went to bed.




6.How many weeks did Mom work with Billy until he could plan better on his own?




7.Mom gave three ideas for better time management. Which of the following were not on this list?
  Always use a pocket size calendar.
  Use time management tools that match your personal style.
  Good planning relieves feelings of stress.
  Have a consistent time to review what is coming up.
8.What were some of the benefits of Billy's improvement in managing time?




Write a paragraph using all of the words that are given.

1.  free, naturally, nighttime, without  

2.  rush, match, consistent, while, through  

1 comment:

  1. Jason Garcia
    Feb27,2012
    having fun in the summer

    My family and I are going to florida and we are going to have a lots of fun in florida. My father had a lot of money so we can go on a plane to florida, it had toked #2 days to get to florida. we had got to florida all ready and we had to rent a hotel to live there on the summer so when the summer is almost over like if its the 59th day of summer we will get a plane back to san antonio. Plus, but for now I will focus on the summer in florida. Finally, the first day is over and I saw a lot of awesome stuff and got some cool toys that me and my brother got at florida.

    When I first went to florida and when my family and me saw a lot of cool stuff at florida it felt like I was in paradies. My family and me like it at florida and it past a 30 days all ready and we had so much fun at florida. My brother had 20 dollars in his pocket and he spend it on toys and candy, also some food to. Plus, we had a new pet there at florida and it was a dog and his name was Chacha so he is a boy dog he was also cute to he's also a puppy. Finally, I got to sleep with him at night and the next night my brother got to sleep with him to he feels fluffy to.

    It was already the 50 day of summer and we had to pack up because if the next 10 days past we have to leave florida and go back to san antonio. We had got our new dog and he is 7 years old now and he is a pitbull dog and he is a big doggy right now. Our dog runs faster now and he is a chuby dog to. Plus, when I toked our dog Chacha me and my brother saw a cat that looked liked fire was on him as the fur thow. Finally, it was the 58th day of summer and when also had some family photos of us in florida and it was awesome to thow.

    It was the 59th day of summer and we got a plane back to san antonio and it was a fun trip back to where were we belong. The plane had droped us off at the plane station and we got our car at the plane station. I had said to my self I mist this old car of ours and we had to get to our old house we left and our 4 dogs had mist us also and they were jumping all over us and we feed them there food and they were happy. Plus, In our house we were all tired of our long trip back home. Finally, I had mist my cousins and I said so how have you been and they said O.K.

    ReplyDelete